Sunday, December 26, 2004

Bootable CD-ROMs

One problem that has vexed me for some time has been burning CD-ROMs that can boot a Mac. I've gotten pretty good at making them for Quadras and early PowerMacs: Set up a real volume on an external SCSI drive, use Toast 3.5x, burn volume, optimize for speed, and switch on the bootable checkbox.

But I was never able to create a working one for an iBook until yesterday. The trick is to use Toast 4 (even the OEM version, which is all I had) and just follow the instructions: Mac files and folders, create new CD, and add the System Folder first. I never could make a bootable iBook CD in Toast 3.5x.

Now I have a bootable 9.2.2 install disk with Disk Warrior and TechTool added, and was able to use it to rescue an iBook that could not be repaired by Disk First Aid.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?