Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Smart Steps 1st Grade

This program was already at the school, and works well with the 1st graders. It is a CD with a number of files that stay on the CD and a folder which gets copied to the hard drive. When you try to exit the program under Mac OS 9.1, it gives an error dialog about a certain .mov file. You can dismiss the dialog and continue.

I found the specific .mov file on the CD, and noticed it had a different icon and newer date than other .mov files. I guessed that the error might be avoided if I rebuilt the file. So MoviePlayer 2.5, new movie, copy and paste, position at start, and save as self-contained got me a file with the correct icon. Copying the CD with this one file replaced, and the problem is solved.

I relate this story because we subsequently obtained another Smart Steps program which has a more difficult problem. My guess is that the publisher is trying to patch these titles for some environment other than Mac OS 9, and are causing more problems with their patches.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?