Thursday, August 05, 2004

7100 and AppleShare IP

Have not posted for a while, because I felt I had to fix some things in the blog template and didn't get around to it. But I've decided to post some of the things I've learned this summer, and deal with the template later.

I fixed up a 7100/80 with no sound as an AppleShare IP server. It was very difficult to add RAM; apparently this model really needs matched pairs of SIMMs. I had a matched pair of 16's, but none of my 32's matched so it was trial and error until I finally found a combination that worked. So the total is 104M (2x16, 2x32, plus 8 on the logic board). The manual inject floppy drive was not working and could not be cleaned, but I discovered that this model can take an older auto-inject floppy and the slot in the case lines up fine.

AppleShare IP version 6 is a great little server, very easy to set up and use. So far I've just used it to test things at home for my wife's new job. They have a blue&white G3 server for the iMac lab, plus a 9600 server which we hope to get as a backup for the G3. Both run a similar version of AppleShare IP.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?