Friday, July 11, 2003

Yesterday I repaired another Apple 15" multiscan monitor. I've done 6 or 8 of these now. The fixable symptom is loss of one color, sometimes intermittent. The fix is to re-solder bad connections on the vertical circuit board attached to the back of the CRT. The problems to overcome are opening the case (insert small screwdriver in upper holes and gently press down) and removing the metal shield box around the circuit board (it is held together with solder!). Then I can usually spot the bad solder joints by eye. After re-soldering, I test it before re-assembly (warning: this could be dangerous).

When working properly, this monitor produces a great picture, and the multiscan capability means you can easily switch between low res 640x480 for edutainment titles and 832x624 for web browsing. Some systems support more modes. I used 6 of them in a mini-lab at one school and am setting up a full 24-mac computer lab in another school using primarily this monitor.
Comments:
Thank you for the great post!

I too love this monitor, but can't tell which solder joints to repair on the circuit board.

I have it opened but am now stuck!

Can you help?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?